For the Polenta:
- In an 8-quart large heavy bottom Dutch oven bring the milk up to a low simmer over medium heat. Stir occasionally and be careful not to let the milk scorch on the bottom.
- While whisking continuously, add the dry polenta. Add 2 teaspoons of salt, switch to using a wooden spoon and stir every 2-3 minutes for approximately 25 minutes, or until the liquid is dissolved and the polenta is tender.
- Stir in the cheese and butter and add more salt and pepper to taste if necessary.
- Pour the polenta into two pre-greased 9-inch cake pans. Chill in the fridge for one hour, or until set completely. Remove from pan and slice into 48 one-inch cubes.
- In a medium sauce pan with high sides, heat 2 cups of the oil until it reaches 350 degrees F.
- Toss the polenta cubes in a light dusting of rice flour, shake off any excess.
- Fry the polenta cubes in the oil, a few at a time, until golden brown on all sides. This should take about a minute. Remove the polenta cubes with a slotted spoon and place them on a cooling rack until it is time to serve.
For the Aiolis:
- In the work bowl of a food processor combine the egg yolks, Dijon mustard, and lemon juice, pulse 3-4 times or until mostly smooth.
- With the food processor running, slowly stream in the remaining 1 to 1½ cups safflower oil, until the mayonnaise thickens and reaches the desired consistency.
- Split the mayonnaise into three separate bowls.
- In the first bowl stir in 2 teaspoons black pepper and reduced beet liquid
- In the second bowl stir in the garlic and turmeric
- In the third bowl stir in the chlorophyll and minced jalapeno.
- Taste all three variations and adjust seasoning with salt and lemon juice if necessary.
For the Port Wine Glazed Shallots:
- In a skillet, saute the shallots in the olive oil until golden brown.
- Add the port wine and vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Simmer over low – medium heat until sauce thickens slightly and begins to coat the shallots.
Polenta Bites Assembly:
Assemble the following together on a plate, add a decorative skewer for a fun finish!
- Black pepper mayonnaise, fried polenta cube, port wine shallot, and pea shoot garnish.
- Garlic aioli, fried polenta cube, oven roasted tomato, and basil leaf for garnish.
- Jalapeno mayonnaise, fried polenta cube, bacon, and jalapeno slices for garnish.