Eating for Two: the Top 5 Nutrients for Pregnant Women
Adequate nutrition is important in all stages of life, but certain nutrients are even more important during pregnancy. Specific macronutrients, minerals and vitamins can help a baby’s spinal cord, brain, blood, organs and bones develop correctly throughout a pregnancy. Read on to discover the top five nutrients to eat when you’re eating for two, and where to find them.
Make sure you are getting adequate nutrients to support the baby growing inside of you! For additional prenatal and postpartum food tips and recipes, make an appointment at BCNH with a nutritionist today. Ph: (206) 834-4114. Website: http://bastyrcenter.org/
Geanna Revell is a graduate of Bastyr’s Master of Science in Nutrition program and a current dietetic intern at Bastyr.
- Folate. National Institutes of Health: Office of Dietary Supplements Web Site. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Folate-HealthProfessional/. Published April 20, 2016. Accessed November 2017.
- Iron. National Institutes of Health: Office of Dietary Supplements Web Site. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/. Published February 11, 2016. Accessed November 2017.
- Calcium. National Institutes of Health: Office of Dietary Supplements Web Site. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Calcium-HealthProfessional/. Published November 17, 2016. Accessed November 2017.
- Mahan L, Raymond J, ed. Krause’s Food and Nutrition Care Process. 14th edition. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier Inc; 2017.
- Greenberg J, Bell S, Van Ausdal W. Omega-3 Fatty Acid Supplementation During Pregnancy. Rev Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 1(4):162–169.