Tips for Healthy Eating at Parties
Summer barbeques and parties with family and friends are fun, but can make it tough to maintain a healthy lifestyle. While it’s important to enjoy food and indulge on occasion, there’s no need to let a party steer you away from achieving your health goals. With these tips, you can leave parties without feeling bloated, tired and guilty!
- Eat a balanced snack before you go to a holiday party, that way you won’t be ravenous and will be less likely to overindulge.
- Bring your own dish! This gives you the chance to experiment with a new recipe, impress your friends and increase the amount of healthy options available.
- Stay hydrated. Most of the time we think we’re hungry, but we’re actually thirsty! Jazz up sparkling water with a drop of fruit juice or a lemon wedge. If you drink alcohol, keep in mind the recommendation of 1 drink per day for women and 2 drinks per day for men. Or at least be sure to drink a glass of water after an alcoholic drink to stay full and hydrated.
- Enjoy yourself and mingle! Wandering away from the potluck or buffet table helps to lessen temptation.
- Focus on protein and veggies. And enjoy other foods in moderation.
- Eat mindfully. This means eating slowly, taking the time to fully enjoy your meals.
- Don’t deprive yourself. You can still enjoy your favorite foods, but eat a small portion of something you really want and savor every bite. Never guilt-trip yourself — everyone makes mistakes!
- Use a smaller plate. By serving yourself less on a smaller salad-size plate, you are less likely to overeat. Your brain will have time to catch up to your stomach — it takes about 20 minutes for your brain to receive the message that you are full!
- Find social support. Find a friend or family member who is also trying to eat healthy and help each other stay on track.
- Stay active. After a big meal, help your friends or family clean up or take a walk. It’s good to keep moving! Don’t be hard on yourself if you haven’t been consistent with exercising — just start again! It’s never too late to take care of yourself.
- Above all, enjoy! Take time for yourself if you can, and enjoy the company of friends and family!