Avoid feeling sluggish on the road by packing your own energizing road trip snacks.
For the Snack Bag:
1. Energy bars: high in fiber and protein these bars are perfect to keep you energized on the road. Need inspiration? Check out this easy recipe: Brain Bars.
2. Trail mix: Make your own with a combination of nuts (peanuts, almonds, walnuts, cashews, pecans, pistachios), dried fruit (cherries, cranberries, apricots, raisins) and seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, hemp, chia). Optional add-ins: unsweetened shredded coconut, dark chocolate, dried peas, or whole grain crackers.
3. Roasted chickpeas: Craving chips? Try this crunch snack instead which is a good source of protein and fiber. To make your own: pat dry chickpeas and toss with olive oil, sea salt, pepper. Roast at 450 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes until lightly browned and crunchy.
For the Cooler:
4. Fruit: Choose whole fruit over fruit juice or fruit snacks to keep blood sugar balanced and your energy levels up. Options include oranges, clementines, bananas, apples, grapes, berries and cherries.
5. Veggies and homemade dips: Full of fiber, these veggies will keep you feeling full longer. Options include snap peas, edamame, celery sticks, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and cherry tomatoes. Dress them up with homemade Greek yogurt ranch, guacamole, hummus or nut and seed butters.
6. Hard boiled eggs: Skip salty, over-processed jerky and pick this high protein snack instead! Eggs are affordable and packed with vitamins and minerals, perfect for refueling your adventures.
Grab your snack bag and small cooler and you are ready to go!