Mason Jars: Eco-Chic and Budget-Smart
At about $1 a piece, glass canning jars let you reduce your reliance on plastic without breaking the bank.
There are good reasons to use less plastic for storing and eating food and drinks. However, replacing all your plastic Tupperware with glass containers can cost a fortune! Enter Mason jars (or other glass canning jars). At about $1 per jar, they let you reduce your reliance on plastic without breaking the bank. Try some of these ideas at home:
- Pack leftovers in pint jars and refrigerate or freeze.
- Use them to make layered salads: put your dressing on the bottom, layer veggies, olives, beans, and cheese. Greens go on top so they don’t wilt! Sack lunches have never been so easy.
- For a chic rustic-themed party, use jars as drinking glasses. They work equally well for water, wine or cocktails!
- Freeze blanched vegetables such as asparagus or green beans in jars to help keep your freezer organized.
- Pack homemade holiday gifts in jars – glazed nuts, cookie mixes, caramel popcorn, flavored salts or dried herbs from your garden. Tie a pretty ribbon around the jar and it’s wrapped!
- Serve decadent desserts in 4-ounce quilted jars (think custard, ice cream or chocolate molten lava cakes) for an easy and attractive presentation.
- Store dried grains, beans, pasta and popcorn in jars. They make a gorgeous display in any kitchen.
Keep your eye out for Mason jars. They’re even popping up in trendy restaurants. By employing some of these creative tricks, you can be as fashionable and eco-conscious as anyone!
More Health Tips
Remember when your mother always told you to “trust your gut”? Turns out she was right! Good health starts in your gut.
Currently, approximately one third of all children and teens in the United States can be classified as either overweight or obese. What can be done to lower this number?
Before you throw away that limp bunch of kale, consider that nearly 40% of all food produced in the U.S goes to waste every year.
What's fact and what's fiction? Soybeans are nutrient powerhouses, yet conflicting results from research has created fear in the consumption of this wholesome food.
Natural Ways to Treat Bladder Pain Syndrome
Our skin is our largest organ and can contribute to multiple health concerns and woes. With these tips you can maximize your skin health and whole health!