Resources & Services
- Bastyr Library Catalog
- Scholarly resources that include state-of-the-art conventional and natural medicine databases, eJournals, conference proceedings, anatomy models, digital files, DVDs and specialized print collections.
- The historical collection and archives that contain many early and rare items pertaining to Nature Cure, Physical Culture, and other movements preceding today’s science-based natural medicine.
- Databases: A MyBU login is required to access the full text.
- LibGuides: Subject and research guides created by Bastyr librarians
Access to Resources
- Students, staff and faculty: on- and off-site access to all electronic resources and checkout privileges for books and other items.
- Alumni: can use the electronic resources on-site in the campus libraries and can check out books and other items. See Library Services for Alumni for additional resources and information.
- Members of the community: can use the library resources on-site at the campus libraries. Students are given priority during peak hours. Checkout privileges are limited to health professionals conducting research and include an annual fee.
- See checkout policy for further information.
Orientation. The library provides orientations for students and others by request, including instruction on the use of specialized databases.
Research assistance. Librarians can provide assistance for finding information and conducting research. Ask for for a staff member.
Interlibrary Loans (ILL). The library will submit ILL requests from students, faculty and staff for materials not available in the print collection or electronically. Contact the library for information about fees.
Course reserves. Copies of required textbooks and most recommended ones are on reserve with limited checkout periods.
Reserving a book. Bastyr students, staff and faculty may place holds on books and other items which are checked out via a personal catalog (Koha) account or by contacting the library.
- Kenmore campus: computers are available in the library with additional ones located in room 15 (students only). Computer use by community members is restricted during peak student-use hours.
- San Diego campus: a computer lab is located near the library.
Donations. Donations of books and other appropriate materials are welcome. Please talk to a staff member before bringing in your items.
- Borrowing privileges are extended without charge to Bastyr University students, staff, faculty and alumni.
- Local health practitioners, students at specified schools in the area and researchers may be eligible to purchase limited library privileges. The annual fee for researchers is $50.00. Please call and speak with a staff person.
- Books can be checked out for three weeks. DVDs, CDs, videotapes and audiotapes circulate for one week. These items may be renewed.
- Historical and reference books, and journals, must be used in the library.
- Reserve items for classes generally circulate for two hours during the day and overnight; some reserve texts circulate for three days. Reserve items may not be renewed.
- For specialized items, ask a staff member.
Books may be returned after hours to the book drop-box outside the Library door.
For fines $2.00 and over, you may donate food in lieu of payment. Ask a staff member for details.
- Books in the general collection: 10 cents per day
- Course reserve items: 50 cents per hour
- DVDs/video/audiotapes: 25 cents per day
- Appropriate items may be renewed (even if overdue) by phone (425) 602-3020; email library[at]bastyr[dot]edu; in person (with or without the books in hand) or via a personal catalog account.
The Library upholds the confidentiality of its circulation records and will not reveal patron information.
Library staff, experts in medical resources and in the subject areas of complementary, alternative and integrative medicine, promote intellectual curiosity by encouraging questions and inquiry. Students in all programs receive focused instruction in research-oriented classes and individual sessions tailored to their needs.
Library Director: Jane Saxton, MLIS - (425) 602-3024, jsaxton[at]bastyr[dot]edu
- Ekaterini Papadopoulou, MLIS - (425) 602-3272, epapadopoulou[at]bastyr[dot]edu
- Susan Banks, MLIS - (425) 602-3170, sbanks[at]bastyr[dot]edu
- Arlene Gillis (acquisitions) - (425) 602-3393, agillis[at]bastyr[dot]edu
- Margaret Holt (circulation) - (425) 602-3023, mholt[at]bastyr[dot]edu
- Linda Tally (interlibrary loans) - (425) 602-3021, ltally[at]bastyr[dot]edu
Phone: (425) 602-3020
eFax: (509) 693-6641
Address: Bastyr University Library, 14500 Juanita Dr. NE, Kenmore, WA 98028