Raw Zucchini Noodles with Kale Pesto
Most people don’t know that zucchini can be eaten raw! Without cooking, the zucchini and kale are higher in vitamins and enzymes that are sometimes destroyed in the cooking process. This mostly raw recipe is a great gluten-free, low carbohydrate substitute for pasta. It’s especially refreshing on a hot summer day.
- Toast pumpkin seeds, set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, wash and chop kale and basil.
- Combine pumpkin seeds, kale, basil, garlic, red pepper flakes, olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper in a food processor.
- Blend on high for 2-4 minutes until smooth.
- Add more salt or lemon juice, if needed, then set pesto aside.
- Use a spiralizer to make zucchini noodles, using a large bowl to collect the noodles. If you don’t have a spiralizer, you can use a vegetable peeler or a mandolin to make thin slices. You can also chop the zucchini lengthwise and cut thin slices.
- Toss zucchini in large mixing bowl with pesto and combine until mixed.
- Serve cold or warm.