Mason Jars: Eco-Chic and Budget-Smart
At about $1 a piece, glass canning jars let you reduce your reliance on plastic without breaking the bank.
There are good reasons to use less plastic for storing and eating food and drinks. However, replacing all your plastic Tupperware with glass containers can cost a fortune! Enter Mason jars (or other glass canning jars). At about $1 per jar, they let you reduce your reliance on plastic without breaking the bank. Try some of these ideas at home:
- Pack leftovers in pint jars and refrigerate or freeze.
- Use them to make layered salads: put your dressing on the bottom, layer veggies, olives, beans, and cheese. Greens go on top so they don’t wilt! Sack lunches have never been so easy.
- For a chic rustic-themed party, use jars as drinking glasses. They work equally well for water, wine or cocktails!
- Freeze blanched vegetables such as asparagus or green beans in jars to help keep your freezer organized.
- Pack homemade holiday gifts in jars – glazed nuts, cookie mixes, caramel popcorn, flavored salts or dried herbs from your garden. Tie a pretty ribbon around the jar and it’s wrapped!
- Serve decadent desserts in 4-ounce quilted jars (think custard, ice cream or chocolate molten lava cakes) for an easy and attractive presentation.
- Store dried grains, beans, pasta and popcorn in jars. They make a gorgeous display in any kitchen.
Keep your eye out for Mason jars. They’re even popping up in trendy restaurants. By employing some of these creative tricks, you can be as fashionable and eco-conscious as anyone!
More Health Tips
Nothing beats the open road on a sunny day but when hunger strikes, it is easy to go straight to the gas station or convenience store to fuel your car and yourself.
Packing lunches for our children is both healthful and economically sound. Unfortunately, some methods we use to keep food fresh and transportable are harmful to our environment.
Dr. Thomas Farmer explains the importance of parental involvement in addressing the popular show, "13 Reasons Why"
9 nutrition options to help naturally boost your mental health state.
Bastyr faculty shares 10 tips to nourish the whole you!
There are ways to help treat IBS using safe, natural products, and life-style intervention.